I interrupt the scheduled A to Z Memory Verse post to “mark this moment” with school starting for our family today. The “R” verse will be coming soon – promise!
Hey Friends –
It’s “Back to School” day for us today! Can I get a Woo Hoo?
Now some years, the start of school has brought crocodile tears and painful emotions of loss, but this year- not so much. (Except adjusting to my college student, which is a different post for a different day – sniffle sniffle ).
For the past weeks our home has been filled with whiny voices saying nonsense talk like “Mom, there’s nothing to doooo”, “Mom, she’s bothering me again”, “Mom, he’s looking at me”, “Mom she’s cheating at Uno again”…. you get the drift.
This year I’m agreeing with Beth Moore, who posted on Twitter today…
One tradition we practice in our home is the ceremonial “1st Day of School picture” in the same spot in our foyer. Here are the photos from this 2012-2013 school year….
(Pic above from Aquinas College Parent Day. See cartoon above and note I’m clenching kleenex in my left hand)
Even though the school year just started, I’m learning quite a few lessons already, such as…
stinkchange. Our kids grow up, move out, make their own choices. It’s a good thing. We want them to have roots and wings. (I keep trying to tell myself this anyway.)
- Traditions change. It’s ok. What worked for one school year may not work for another. Case in point – “tea time“. For many years, tea time was the highlight of my day. I loved finding the right snack and couldn’t wait to hear everything that my kids experienced during their day. This year, Benj arrives home an hour earlier than his sisters, and he says he’s too old for tea time now. Boo. 🙁
- A mother’s love never changes. ‘Nuff said. 🙂
I’ve been thinking about Max Lucado’s quote..
When men work, men work.
When men pray, God works.
I like to think of it like this…..
When moms work, moms work. When moms pray, God works!
Let’s ask God to work in the hearts of our kids, teachers, administrators and us this school year. May we all look and love more like Jesus than we do today!
For more prayer resources/ideas/downloads…
- 31 Days of Prayer for Your Kids
- A Prayer for a New School Year
- Inspirational Prayers
- A Meditation for Teachers based on 1 Corinthians 13
- How to Pray for Teachers
I’d love to hear from you, dear friends! How do you prepare for Back to School? Any tips you’ve learned along the way? Share with us please!
Here’s to a wonderful, safe, courageous, Kingdom advancing school year!
P.S. Anyone want to come join me for tea time??! Smile.
P.P.S. We are continuing our Sundae Nights tradition. Thanks Torresson Family for a GREAT Sundae Night!