Hey Friends —
Today is a special day!
It was fourteen years ago today — on August 5, 2000 — I walked down the aisle, escorted by my dad, as Ms. Cindy Stille —
We had a beautiful ceremony officiated by our friend and Pastor, Rob Bell. The wedding was held at our home church at the time, Mars Hill Bible Church. I was super blessed by a large gathering of family, friends, and of course, an amazing children’s choir (thanks, Deb!)
And before I knew it, I was walking back down the aisle ~ this time as Mrs. John Bultema.
In honor of our special day (and the 14 years we’ve celebrated together), I’d like to share….
The Top “14” reasons I’m grateful to be Mrs. John Bultema
1. John is a man of integrity. He is trustworthy, honest, and a man of Godly character. (If you know John, you know this is true!)
2. John is an amazing dad! Absolutely amazing!! He is so attentive to our kids and their needs ~ it is a huge blessing to parent alongside of him!
3. I love John’s knowledge of the Word of God. I love asking him his thoughts about Bible passages, and studying the Word with him. I also love hearing him share Bible stories with our kids. I love his sharp mind and wise insights!
4. John is supportive of my ministry dreams. How many men would quit their jobs and become a stay-at-home dad so their wife could continue on in full-time ministry? John did…and was an excellent stay-at-home dad for almost 3 years! He still continues to support me and my ministry dreams in so many ways ~ and I am very grateful!
5. John has such a huge heart for the world. He dreams of being involved with global ministry someday, and is passionate about helping kids learn more about God’s work around the world. How cool is that?!
6. John has taught me a lot about living a balanced, restful, healthy life. He takes excellent care of his body, our cars, our home (and extends much grace to a more “creative/messy” person like me).
7. He does all of our family’s laundry 🙂
8. John accepted my son Jake from the very first minute he met him (when John was Jake’s kindergarten small group leader at church). Not only did John have the privilege of leading Jake to Jesus back in 1999 (when he was still “Mr. John”) ~ John has loved Jake with such unconditional, unfailing love!
No wonder Jake wanted us to get married so badly ~ he’s no dummy!
9. John is very wise with our finances. If our budget was up to me, we’d be in bad shape. Trust me.
10. John is a ton of fun to be around! I love hanging out, playing cards, walking our crazy dog, picnicing or just “being” with him. He is my best friend!
11. John is hard-working, patient, caring, compassionate, strong, prayerful, generous, and a great listener. I am honored to be his wife.
12. John is an awesome kids Bible teacher. One of my joys is when we share the Gospel to kids at chapels through our “Mystery of the Big Gift.”
13. John is very helpful. It’s not uncommon for him to make a late-night run if I need medicine, a teaching prop, gas in my car, or even a newspaper. Acts of service is definitely his specialty.
And the 14th reason I’m grateful to be Mrs. John Bultema….
14. He’s so darn cute!! 🙂
Happy Anniversary, honey (if you’re reading this!) I’m so glad we survived this year and didn’t give up. May the Lord continue to bless us with many, many more years of love, joy, peace in our home, fun family times, and Kingdom-building opportunities. You are loved — a lot! 🙂
P.S. Sweet friend, please know, we’ve gone through some pretty tough seasons. Like major tough. But God has answered my prayers for a marriage that would bring honor to Him. If you are in a tough season, please keep praying and working and seeking counsel, if needed. You are not alone.
P. P.S. Just for fun, here’s a picture of the junior bride and groom that day ~ Ms. Sara Robinson and my dear son Jake. Aren’t they too adorable?!
Congrats, Cindy!! So grateful that you and John didn’t give up on marriage as well this year. And also so appreciate your honesty in the PS. It takes work to stay married and I’m grateful that you and John chose to say.
Chose to stay… 🙂
So glad you understand a covenant relationship, through the thick and thin. Blessing on you and your family.
Love this post! Love it! What a wonderful God honoring way to celebrate your marriage than to come up with this list. Very well done Cindy!