Don’t forget to enter the Fire Up Your Faith A to Z versepack giveaway here!
Hey friends –
Welcome to Day 9 of 31 Days to Fire Up Your Faith!
If this is your first visit — welcome! I’m so glad you are here! You can get caught up on back posts here. Today is a perfect day to join us as we ask God to ignite our faith lives with fresh passion and purpose!
For everyone: in case you don’t want to miss a day, you can like my FB page, connect with me on Twitter, or subscribe to my blog via the sidebar. There’s still 22 more days of ideas, resources, and encouragement to Fire Up Your Faith to come! Woo Hoo!
You know by now that my hope during this 31 Day Fire Up Your Faith journey is to explore the question, “HOW?”
How do we allow God to ignite our heart with fresh faith, purpose and passion?
This week we’ve been talking about Key # 2 – God’s Promises
Y’all know this is an area super near and dear to my heart.
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again —
My life has been transformed because my mind has been transformed – and that’s come by studying and memorizing God’s Word.
God’s Word has literally transformed my life from the inside out, and given me — a girl with such a messed up mind — fresh peace, perspective, passion and purpose.
Bottom line: you don’t go from bondage to drug/alcohol addiction to being a Bible teacher without some pretty powerful intervention.
But listen to this —
Friends, now if that doesn’t fire up your faith, I don’t know what will! God’s Word has the force of a fire and a hammer!
Thankfully He “knocked” some sense into me with that hammer of His. And if He will do it for me, He will do it for YOU too!
So by now you have a fresh “want to” for memorizing God’s Word, right?!
I’ve loved hearing how you are printing off my free downloadable/printable verse cards, and seeing where you are memorizing your verses too. (Keep ’em coming too, friends!)
Today let’s talk about the “how to” — how to memorize God’s Word in this fast-paced, crazy busy world we live in.
In honor of our 9th day of our journey, here are nine of my favorite Scripture Memory Tips.
- Write the Scripture verse you’d like to memorize on index cards or post it notes. Place them everywhere – by your kitchen sink, the dashboard in your car, bathroom mirror, cupboards, near your phone, in your gym bag. Recite the verses aloud often.
- Using a dry erase marker, write your verse on your bathroom mirror.
- Find an accountability partner. Check in once a week to say your verses to one another.
- Recruit your kids to help you memorize your verses. Ask them to check in with you every Sunday on the way to church. If you don’t know your verses, they get a special treat like ice cream.
- Put the Scripture of the week on your computer screensaver or cell phone.
- Develop hand motions for each verse.
- Sing the Scripture. Make up a tune or borrow one. Music helps!
- Review, review, review. Repetition is one of the best ways to engrave Scripture verses in our hearts and minds.
- Write your verse with your kids in the snow. 🙂
But wait — there’s more!
I had the chance to visit a great Red Hot Faith gathering, and the amazing Bible study coordinator passed out this sheet with 25 Tips for Memorizing Scripture. Good news! She’s making it available for you to print off today too here — Tips for Memorizing Scripture. Thanks, Karen B!
Today’s Challenge : Day 9 of our 31 Days.
1. Grab your Fire Up My Faith notebook. Jot down today’s date, and then, spend time praying, asking God to help you know “how to” best memorize His Word. Pray that God would give you a clear mind, recall, and time to work on this important discipline.
2. What Scripture promise are you memorizing this week? How is it coming? Do you almost have it?
Don’t forget: If you need a verse, print off the Red Hot verse cards, and then pick one to memorize. In the comments section, say “I’m in!” so we know you’re join us in memorizing one of God’s promises this week!
Bonus challenge: take a picture of where you are memorizing your verse and post it on my FB page here. Yay!
3. Do you have a Scripture passage that has significantly touched your life. I’d love for you to leave it in the comments section.
4. How are you doing this week, really? Take some time to jot down in your journal any personal circumstances or obstacles that are getting in the way of your fired up faith. In fact, I’d encourage you to write all your challenges on out! (I won’t ask you to share this list in the comments section, promise.) Ask God to reveal Himself to you in the midst of your current faith challenges.
Sweet friend, thanks so much for stopping by 31 Days to Fire Up Your Faith! I’m sure enjoying meeting together each day — and I hope that you are too!
May we bank God’s promises in the vault of our heart (Psalm 119:11) so that we can walk about in Truth, freedom, and victory!
P.S. Don’t forget my fun new announcement! My Bible study — Red Hot Faith: Lessons from a Lukewarm Church— is going to be offered as an on-line study this fall! Woo Hoo!
Starting October 29th, you can participate in Red Hot Faith (including watching the DVD teaching sessions) from the luxury of your own home through Ignite Women. My super passionate friend Paulette Stafford Stamper & her team will be facilitating the online study each Wednesday night. And guess what else? In honor of Ignite Women’s national launch, they are offering free membership through November 30th.
If you know anyone who might benefit from this amazing opportunity, please feel free to share. For more info go to www.IgniteWomen.com.