Don’t forget: My A to Z Truth card giveaway lasts until Tuesday, November 4th. They’d make a perfect stocking stuffer for a special friend. Enter here!
Hey Friends –
Welcome! If this is your first visit — hello, friend! You can begin the 31 Days to Fire Up Your Faith here. Thanks for joining us!
As we near our 31 Day finish line, we’ll wrap with our 5th & final “P”
Now when it comes to living passionately, I’ll confess — I know passion (not “that” kind of passion, this is a G rated blog 🙂 )
But remember — I am a hockey mom (and a hockey goalie mom, at that!) Girlfriend, I know passion.
Want to see how embarrassingly passionate I can be? Check out this video footage I captured.
Here’s some quick context:
My son Jake was the Varsity goalie for his high school hockey team. This footage was from a Round 2 play-off game. (Play off games are intense, friends.) Imagine my SHOCK and HORROR when the refs announced during the second period of the game, the other team’s star player would be able to take a penalty shot against my Jake. AHHH!
Thankfully, I know Jake does well under pressure, but not me!
A dad from our team said, “Wow, this could really change the whole game.” We were currently down 0-2, and the penalty shot would be taken in front of the other team’s huge student section (who kept yelling not nice things at my son!) My stomach sank!
I pulled out my camera and recorded the big play. Here’s a replay (remember my son Jake is the goalie).
I know I got so excited that you can’t tell what happened (oops!), but Jake did stop the shot! Woo Hoo!
Although they ended up losing the game, Jake learned that he made the city’s All-Conference team that night. Way to go, Jake! 🙂
So as you can see, I know passion.
Y’all, let’s live passionate for Jesus!
What if we whooped it up and hollered like that every time —
- A sweet sister gave her life to the Lord or
- Decided to believe the TRUTH of what God says about her or
- Declared “NO MORE” to living bound by addiction or self-defeating behaviors or
- We saw God answer one of our fervent prayers
After the miracle God has done in my life — I want to live with a passionate, purpose-filled, fired up faith every single day of my entire life.
Romans 12:11 says, “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.”
If we look at some of the original Greek words, the verse really comes alive!
The word “lacking” is the Greek word “Okernos,” meaning “sluggish, slothful, lukewarm in attitude.”
And the word “fervent” is the Greek word “Zeo,” meaning “to boil with heat, be hot”
So there it is in Scripture — Never be lukewarm, but be boiling hot!
The Message Bible paraphrases it this way —
So what happens if our faith grows lukewarm, or our fired up flame becomes a little flicker?
Go back to Key # 1 and spend time in His Presence!
Remember, we cannot spend time in His Presence and not be changed.
It’s in His Presence, that our faith becomes Red Hot!
Maybe you’re reading today, and you think ~ “Cindy, I’m just not one of those perfect, church ladies ~ I don’t know that this whole Fired Up Faith thing is for me.”
Please know God’s not looking for perfection, sweet friend!
God is looking for imperfect women — just like you, just like me — who have learned to walk by faith in moment-by-moment dependence on the Him.
Women who have come to terms with their inadequacies, fears, failures, and quirks and are willing and ready to love Him with all their heart, soul, mind and strength and live the powerful, fruit-filled useful life He has for them!
Are you in, friend?! Can I get a Woo Hoo?!
Today’s Challenge: Day 30 of our 31 Days.
1. Grab your Fire Up My Faith notebook and head to “your chair.” Jot down today’s date, and then spend time in prayer asking God to open your eyes, ears, and heart to all He has for you. Write out Romans 12:11 in your notebook. What does this verse mean to you? Would you describe your faith life as sluggish, stale, lukewarm, or passionate and red hot? Spend time journaling your responses, feelings, and reflections.
2. I love this quote by Mark Batterson, “If you’re bored, one thing is for sure: You’re not following in the footsteps of Christ.” What does this quote mean to you? Have you ever experienced this to be true in your own life?
3. Who do you know who lives a passionate life in Christ? What are their habits? Disciplines? Share with us (not their name necessarily) but what characterizes their life as a passionate Christian. What can you learn from following their example of fatih? (1 Cor 11:1)
P.S. Can you believe we are entering the home stretch? Only 1 days left! In case you don’t want to miss the final day, you can like my FB page, connect with me on Twitter, or subscribe to my blog via the sidebar. There’s still more ideas, resources, and encouragement to Fire Up Your Faith to come!