Hey friends –
To be honest, this week has been pretty nutty for me. I’ve been sharing part of my crazy week on my daily “scopes,” aka Coffee Chat with Cindy.
[Are we friends on Periscope yet? If not, let’s connect there! Just search for the free app, download it, and then search for me (@CindyBultema) and follow me. You can choose to be notified every time I go live so that you can jump on and join in. Then you can watch my live broadcasts and ask questions, and even participate with other viewers in the comments. You can also watch the replay any time at katch.me/cindybultema.]
On my scope today, we discussed my #1 Tip for a Personal Break Through.
If we want God to do a powerful work in and through us, we must, we must, we must — cling to God’s powerful promises—memorizing, meditating, studying, sharing, and letting the Word of God dwell richly in us.
Y’all know this is an area super near and dear to my heart.
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again —
My life has been transformed because my mind has been transformed—and that’s come by studying and memorizing God’s Word.
God’s Word has literally transformed my life from the inside out, and given me—a girl with a majorly messed up mind—fresh peace, perspective, passion and purpose.
Bottom line: you don’t go from bondage to drug/alcohol addiction to being a Bible teacher without some pretty powerful intervention.
But listen to this —
Friends, now if that doesn’t fire you right up, I don’t know what will!
God’s Word has the force of a fire and a hammer!
Thankfully He “knocked” some sense into me with that hammer of His. And if He will do it for me, He will do it for YOU too!
So by now you have a fresh “want to” for memorizing God’s Word, right?!
Let’s talk about the “how to” — how to memorize God’s Word in this fast-paced, crazy busy world we live in.
Here are ten of my favorite Scripture Memory Tips.
- Write the Scripture verse you’d like to memorize on index cards or post it notes. Place them everywhere – by your kitchen sink, the dashboard in your car, bathroom mirror, cupboards, near your phone, in your gym bag. Recite the verses aloud often.
- Using a dry erase marker, write your verse on your bathroom mirror.
- Find an accountability partner. Check in once a week to say your verses to one another.
- Recruit your kids to help you memorize your verses. Ask them to check in with you every Sunday on the way to church. If you don’t know your verses, they get a special treat like ice cream.
- Put the Scripture of the week on your computer screensaver or cell phone.
- Develop hand motions for each verse.
- Sing the Scripture. Make up a tune or borrow one. Music helps!
- Review, review, review. Repetition is one of the best ways to engrave Scripture verses in our hearts and minds.
- Put your verse on your phone as a screen saver.
- Write your verse with your kids in the snow. 🙂
But wait — there’s more!
I visited a great Red Hot Faith gathering, and the amazing Bible study coordinator passed out this sheet with 25 Tips for Memorizing Scripture. Good news! She’s making it available for you to print off today too here — Tips for Memorizing Scripture. Thanks, Karen B!
What Scripture promise are you currently memorizing? How is it going?
Please know: If you need a verse, print off the Red Hot verse cards, and then pick one to memorize. In the comments section, say “I’m in!” so we know you’re join us in memorizing one of God’s promises this week!
Bonus challenge: take a picture of where you are memorizing your verse and post it on my FB page here. Yay!
Sweet friend, do you have a Scripture passage that has significantly touched your life? Share with us please! I’d love for you to leave it in the comments section.
May we bank God’s promises in the vault of our heart (Psalm 119:11) so that we can walk about in Truth, freedom, and victory!
P.S. Still unsure about what to memorize? Check out some of these Bible passages, and pick a verse that will help apply to any area of your life where you are currently struggling. Remember, God’s Word has the force of fire and a hammer!